Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Return of Fat Tuesday

For any of you who know me from MySpace I had a weekly feature on there for a bit called Fat Tuesday. I started it this January when I realized the numbers on the scale were creeping above what I consider an acceptable level. I was determined to climb on the fitness wagon yet again by watching what I ate and getting into some sort of regular exercise. I did pretty good with my quest, ending up just 5 pounds shy of my goal of 128 by mid-March.

However, just as my goal was in my grasp things got nuts at work and they didn't let up until all 4 of my spring Relay events were over at the end of June. By that time the the busy-ness had taken it's toll. One too many times of allowing myself to grab a quick bite coupled with the grinding hault of any sort of exercise program and I now find myself looking at the 140's on the scale yet again.

This might not seem like a big deal to some people but I know the risks associated with extra weight and a lack of exercise as well as yo-yo fitness. I don't like the way my clothes are starting to (not) fit and I am smart enough to realize that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result and therefore something has got to change.

About a month ago I started working out using my Wii and a program called "My Personal Fitness Coach". I was introduced to this program by my sister and it seemed like something I could it into my life. I've been pretty good about sticking to the workouts but the last 2 weeks I've gotten more consistent and this past weekend I even ramped things up and extended the length of my workouts.

What I haven't done is change my eating patterns and it shows. Despite weeks of fairly regular exercise combined with a a half hearted attempt at eatting healthy, the scale is still going in the wrong direction. So, Monday I started logging my calories. I am using a site called www.caloriecount.about.com Yesterday after logging a very sensible day of calories I warded off an evening snack by and kept my daily grade at A by doing 30 minutes of yoga. (the website grades your food intake for the day based on nutritional information)

I am a bit sad to admit I am still on the weight merry-go-round. Food is never going to go away. I just hope that I can keep the ride from speeding up or spinning out of control. It's a day by day thing... and I think it will be that way for life.. but for today it's about calories in versus calories out.

Anyone else out there struggling with fitness?

2 comments:

  1. I've never used Caloriecount but I'll check it out. I lost my weight using Weight Watchers but I've gained a few of the pounds I lost back in the past few months as I've been eating whatever I want and paying for it! Weight Watchers has an online counter but you have to pay their fee. Sounds like Caloriecount is free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Calorie Count is free. There are so many features about the site I like including the grade you get each day. They have tons of foods in their database and if they don't have a food you can add one. I also like that you can track your exercise on the site as well.

    ReplyDelete